2.7 MILLION ADDED BROADBAND FROM TOP PROVIDERS IN 2016
Cable Companies Accounted for 122% of the Net Broadband Adds in 2016
Durham, NH -- March 17, 2017 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the fourteen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 95% of the market -- acquired about 2.7 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 2016. Annual net broadband additions in 2016 were 87% of the 3.1 million net adds in 2015.
These top broadband providers now account for nearly 92.9 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having about 58.4 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having 34.5 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings include:
- The top cable companies netted 122% of the broadband additions in 2016 -- compared to 106% in 2015, and 89% in 2014
- The top cable companies added 3.3 million broadband subscribers in 2016 -- similar to the gains in 2015, and the most net adds in any year since 2007
- The top telephone companies lost about 600,000 subscribers in 2016 -- compared to a loss of about 185,000 subscribers in 2015
- In 4Q 2016, the top broadband providers added about 735,000 subscribers -- compared to about 1,030,000 in 4Q 2015
- The top cable companies added about 855,000 subscribers in 4Q 2016, while Telcos lost about 120,000 subscribers
"The top cable and Telco broadband providers in the US cumulatively now account for nearly 92.9 million subscribers in the US, and the industry continues to grow," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "The top broadband providers added nearly 5.8 million net broadband subscribers over the past two years, with cable companies accounting for about 6.6 million net adds."
||Subscribers at End
of 4Q 2016
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Company^
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telco
|Total Top Broadband
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Altice no longer includes non-residential subscribers for Cablevision
** WOW is revised from prior reporting
^ Includes LRG estimate for Cox
^^ Frontier is revised from prior reporting, and includes LRG estimates
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Company subscriber counts may not solely represent residential households
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions, and reporting adjustments -- therefore, comparing totals in this release to prior releases may not produce accurate findings
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2017. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.