2.7 Million Added Broadband From Top Cable and Telephone Companies in 2012
81.4 Million Get Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies
Durham, NH -- March 19, 2013 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the seventeen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 93% of the market -- acquired over 2.7 million net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 2012. Annual net broadband additions in 2012 were 90% of the total in 2011.
These top broadband providers now account for over 81.4 million subscribers -- with cable companies having nearly 46.8 million broadband subscribers, and telephone companies having 34.6 million subscribers.
Other key findings include:
- The top cable companies netted 88% of the broadband additions in 2012
- The top cable companies added 2.4 million broadband subscribers in 2012 -- 105% of the total net additions for the top cable companies in 2011
- Comcast added over 1.2 million broadband subscribers in 2012 -- accounting for 45% of the total net additions for the top providers in the year
- The top telephone providers added 320,000 broadband subscribers in 2012 -- 43% of the total net additions for the top telephone companies in 2011
- AT&T and Verizon added 3.08 million fiber subscribers (via U-verse and FiOS) in 2012, while having a net loss of 3 million DSL subscribers
"At the end of 2012, the top broadband providers in the US cumulatively had nearly 81.4 million subscribers, an increase of about 19 million over the past five years," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Even with the high level of broadband penetration in the US, the top broadband providers added 90% as many subscribers in 2012 as in 2011."
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
|Broadband Internet Provider
||Subscribers at End of 2012
||Net Adds in 2012
|Other Major Private Cable Companies**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telephone Companies
* LRG estimate
** Includes LRG estimates for Bright House Networks and RCN
^ LRG estimate, does not include wireless subscribers
^^ Windstream no longer reports the number of non-residential subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 93% of all subscribers
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2013. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.
Site designed and maintained by