ABOUT 960,000 ADDED BROADBAND IN 1Q 2017
There are now More Broadband Subscribers than Pay-TV Subscribers in the US
Durham, NH -- May 19, 2017 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the fourteen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 95% of the market -- acquired about 960,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 1Q 2017.
These top broadband providers now account for 93.9 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having 59.4 million broadband subscribers, and top telephone companies having 34.5 million subscribers.
Findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 1Q 2017 were 85% of those in 1Q 2016
- The top cable companies added about 1,000,000 subscribers in 1Q 2017 -- 90% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 1Q 2016
- The top telephone companies lost about 45,000 subscribers in 1Q 2017 -- compared to a gain of about 10,000 broadband subscribers in 1Q 2016
- Telco providers have had net broadband losses in seven of the past eight quarters
- Over the past year, there were about 2,530,000 net broadband adds -- compared to about 3,035,000 over the prior year
"With the addition of nearly one million subscribers in the quarter, the top cable and Telco broadband providers in the US cumulatively now account for over 93.9 million subscribers in the US," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "In the first quarter of 2017, the number of broadband subscribers surpassed the number of pay-TV subscribers in the US."
||Subscribers at End
of 1Q 2017
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Company^
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Telco
|Total Top Broadband
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* Altice adjusted Suddenlink totals from prior reported amounts to align with Optimum metrics
** Mediacom includes pro forma results from a small system acquisition in January 2017
^ Includes LRG estimate for Cox
Totals reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Company subscriber counts may not solely represent residential households
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions, and reporting adjustments -- therefore, comparing totals in this release to prior releases may not produce accurate findings
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2017. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.