Durham, NH -- July 24, 2017 -- New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) finds that 64% of all US households have a subscription video on-Demand (SVOD) service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu -- up from 47% in 2014. Among those who have an SVOD service, 51% have more than one of these services -- up from 35% in 2014.
Use of SVOD has also increased in recent years. Daily, 29% of all adults stream an SVOD service -- up from 16% in 2015. Younger adults are the most active streamers, with 51% of all ages 18-34 streaming an SVOD service daily -- up from 33% in 2015.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,207 households nationwide and are part of a new LRG study, Emerging Video Services XI. This is LRG's eleventh annual study on this topic.
Other findings include:
- 62% of pay-TV subscribers have an SVOD service -- compared to 72% of pay-TV non-subscribers with a TV
- 83% with an SVOD service have Netflix
- 75% with Netflix also have a pay-TV service -- compared to 85% in 2012
- 43% of adults watch video on non-TV devices (including home computers, mobile phones, iPads, tablets, and eReaders) daily -- up from 33% in 2015, and 18% in 2012
- 74% of adults who watch video on mobile phones usually watch video on their mobile phones at home, and 87% of those who watch video on an iPad/tablet or eReader usually watch at home
"Nearly two-thirds of all households now have an SVOD service, and over half of this group has more than one of the major SVOD services," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "With the increased prevalence of SVOD in consumers' households, 29% of adults now stream an SVOD service daily, up from 16% just two years ago."
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Emerging Video Services XI is based on a survey of 1,207 adults age 18+ throughout the continental US. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the US. The telephone survey (including landline and cell phone calls) was conducted in May-June 2017. The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.8%.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).