ABOUT 625,000 ADDED BROADBAND IN 3Q 2016
92.5 Million Get Broadband from Top Cable and Telephone Companies
Durham, NH -- November 17, 2016 -- Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the fourteen largest cable and telephone providers in the US -- representing about 95% of the market -- acquired about 625,000 net additional high-speed Internet subscribers in 3Q 2016. These top broadband providers now account for 92.5 million subscribers -- with top cable companies having 57.8 million broadband subscribers, and top phone companies having 34.7 million subscribers.
Other broadband findings for the quarter include:
- Overall, broadband additions in 3Q 2016 were 99% of those in 3Q 2015
- The top cable companies added about 775,000 subscribers in 3Q 2016 -- 99% of the net additions for the top cable companies in 3Q 2015
- The top phone companies lost about 150,000 broadband subscribers in 3Q 2016 -- similar to the loss of about 145,000 in 3Q 2015
- Telco providers have had net broadband losses in five of the past six quarters
- In the first three quarters of 2016, cable companies added about 2,440,000 broadband subscribers, while Telcos lost about 475,000 subscribers
"While major providers now account for nearly 92.5 million broadband subscribers in the US, the broadband market continues to expand with top cable providers driving the growth," said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. "Over the past year, cable companies added more than 3.5 million broadband subscribers, accounting for 118% of the 2.995 million net broadband additions."
||Subscribers at End
of 3Q 2016
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Company**
|Total Top Cable
|Total Top Phone Companies
Sources: The Companies and Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
* WOW does not include a minor system acquisition in September 2016
** Includes LRG estimate for Cox
^ Frontier total is revised from prior reporting
Company subscriber counts may not represent solely residential households, and reporting adjustments
Top cable and telephone companies represent approximately 95% of all subscribers
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions, and reporting adjustments -- therefore, comparing totals in this release to prior releases may not produce accurate findings
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Click here to download a printable version (in PDF® format).
(Requires Adobe® PDF® Reader).
(C) Copyright 2016. Leichtman Research Group, Inc. All rights reserved. | For questions/problems with the site, contact us at webmstr@LeichtmanResearch.com.