Durham, NH — March 20, 2023 — New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that 86% of U.S. households have at least one streaming video service from fifteen top subscription video on-Demand and direct-to-consumer (DTC) services, and 50% of households have four or more DTC streaming video services.
However, not all DTC services are paid for directly by those who use them. The study found that:
- 68% of all DTC services are fully paid for and are not shared with others outside the household
- 27% of all DTC services are used in more than one household:
- 13% of DTC services are used and paid for by those that also share them with someone outside the household
- 12% of DTC services are used in one household but are borrowed from another household that is paying for the service
- 2% of DTC services are used by multiple households that share costs
- 5% of DTC services are not paid for because they come with another service
These findings are based on an online survey of 3,501 households from throughout the United States and are part of a new LRG study, Internet-Delivered TV Services 2023. This is LRG’s sixth annual study focused on the vMVPD category, along with other DTC streaming video services.
Other findings from the study include:
- Among all ages 18-44, the mean number of DTC streaming services is 4.8 – compared to 4.0 among ages 45-54, and 2.5 among ages 55+
- Among ages 18-34, 17% of all DTC services are fully paid for by someone else – compared to 8% among ages 35+
- Ages 18-34 account for 55% of all DTC services that are fully paid for by someone else
- 14% with Netflix have the service fully paid for by someone else – compared to 13% with HBO Max, and 12% with Hulu
- Adults ages 18-44 account for 59% of all with a vMVPD pay-TV service
- 73% of vMVPD subscribers are very satisfied with their service – compared to 77% in 2021, and 69% in 2018
- 22% of all vMVPD services are shared by multiple households, including 8% of all vMVPD services that are fully paid for by someone outside the household
“About six out of every seven households now have a streaming video service, and half of all households have four or more streaming services. Yet, many of these services are being shared,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “Over one-quarter of all DTC services are shared with others outside the household, including 12% of all DTC services that are ‘borrowed’ from someone else’s subscription. Overall, 17% of households have at least one DTC service that is fully paid for by someone else.”
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer surveys with industry tracking and analysis, to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Internet-Delivered TV Services 2023 is based on an online survey of 3,501 adults age 18+ from throughout the U.S. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the U.S. The survey was conducted in February 2023. The overall online sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 1.7%.
|Click here to download a printable version (in PDF format)|