Durham, NH — August 24, 2022 — New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) finds that 59% of adults in the U.S. watch video on non-TV devices (including mobile phones, home computers, tablets, and eReaders) daily – compared to 55% in 2020, 43% in 2017, and 18% in 2012.
Younger individuals are most likely to watch video on non-TV devices. Among all ages 18-34, 83% watch video on a non-TV device daily – compared to 64% of ages 35-54, and 35% of ages 55 and above.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,900 households nationwide and are part of a new LRG study, Emerging Video Services 2022. This is LRG’s sixteenth annual study on this topic.
Other related findings include:
- 51% of adults watch YouTube on a non-TV device daily – followed by news clips at 35%
- 50% of adults watch video on a mobile phone daily – up from 44% in 2020, and 33% in 2017
- 83% of households have a subscription video on-Demand (SVOD) service from Netflix, Amazon Prime, and/or Hulu – compared to 78% in 2020, and 64% in 2017
- Overall, 64% of U.S. households now have more than one SVOD service – compared to 55% in 2020, and 33% in 2017
- 43% of all adults stream a top SVOD service daily – compared to 40% in 2020, and 29% in 2017
- Including eleven additional streaming video services, the mean number of SVOD/DTC services among all households is 3.6 – compared to 2.9 in 2020
“Nearly 60% of adults now watch video on a non-TV device daily. This includes half of all adults watching video on a mobile phone every day, up from one-third of adults five years ago,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “While non-TV devices provide the ability to watch video anywhere, the most common location for watching video on non-TV devices continues to be in the home. Eighty-two percent of those who watch video on a mobile phone, and 85% of those who watch video on a tablet or eReader, do so at home.”
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on the broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines ongoing consumer research studies with industry tracking and analysis to provide companies with a richer understanding of current market conditions, and the adoption and impact of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
Emerging Video Services 2022 is based on a survey of 1,900 adults age 18+ from throughout the U.S. The random sample of respondents was distributed and weighted to best reflect the demographic and geographic make-up of the U.S. The survey, conducted in June-July 2022, included a sample of about 1,265 online and about 635 via telephone (including landline and cell phone calls). The overall sample has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.3%. The online sample used exclusively for some questions has a statistical margin of error of +/- 2.8%.
|Click here to download a printable version (in PDF format)|