Durham, NH — May 19, 2014 — Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) found that the thirteen largest multi-channel video providers in the US — representing about 94% of the market — added about 260,000 net video subscribers in 1Q 2014, compared to a gain of about 230,000 video subscribers in 1Q 2013.
The top multi-channel video providers account for nearly 95.8 million subscribers — with the top nine cable companies having 50.4 million video subscribers, satellite TV companies having 34.4 million subscribers, and top telephone companies having about 11 million subscribers.
Other key findings include:
- The top nine cable companies lost about 50,000 video subscribers in 1Q 2014 — the fewest quarterly losses since 1Q 2009
- Satellite TV providers added 52,000 subscribers in 1Q 2014 — compared to a gain of 57,000 in 1Q 2013
- The top telephone providers added 258,000 video subscribers in 1Q 2014 — compared to 401,000 net additions in 1Q 2013
- Verizon FiOS’s net adds in 1Q 2014 were the fewest in any quarter since 2Q 2006
- Cumulative net additions for the top multi-channel video providers in 1Q 2014 were the most in any quarter since 1Q 2012
- Over the past year, multi-channel video providers lost about 37,000 subscribers, similar to a loss of about 43,000 over the prior year
“In the first quarter of 2014, the multi-channel video industry had its best quarter in two years, and cable providers had the fewest video losses in any quarter in the past five years,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “Industrywide net losses of about 40,000 subscribers over the past year were nearly identical to losses over the prior year.”
|Multi-Channel Video Provider||Subscribers at
End of 1Q 2014
|Net Adds in
|Net Adds in
|Other Major Private Cable Companies*||6,655,000||(20,000)||(40,000)|
|Total Top Cable||50,418,063||(50,931)||(228,635)|
|Satellite TV Companies (DBS)|
|Total Top DBS||34,362,000||52,000||57,000|
|Total Top Phone||10,980,000||258,000||401,000|
|Total Multi-Channel Video||95,760,063||259,069||229,365|
* Includes LRG estimates for Cox and Bright House Networks
^ Comcast revised its methodology for counting subscribers to a Billable Customer method in 1Q 2014
Top cable companies do not include overbuilder WOW with 694,300 subscribers
Net additions reflect pro forma results from system sales and acquisitions
Top multi-channel video providers represent approximately 94% of all subscribers
Company subscriber counts may not solely represent residential households
Note that LRG consumer research finds that about 1% of households subscribe to both cable and DBS
About Leichtman Research Group, Inc.
Leichtman Research Group, Inc. (LRG) specializes in research and analysis on broadband, media and entertainment industries. LRG combines on-going surveys and analysis with years of hands-on industry experience to provide companies with a richer understanding of the potential impact and adoption of new products and services. For more information about LRG, please call (603) 397-5400 or visit www.LeichtmanResearch.com.
|Click here to download a printable version (in PDF format)|